BUNYANGABU - Local Government Minister Balaam Barugahara has taken his anti-corruption campaign code-named “Expose the Corrupt” to Bunyangabu district.
On Thursday (August 20), he visited some government schools, health centres, markets and projects before holding a rally at Kibiito Playground in Kibiito town council, where residents presented several complaints against district officials.
The minister began his visit with an unannounced inspection of Buheesi Secondary School in Buheesi town council, where he investigated allegations that students were being subjected to excessive charges.
He arrived at about 1:00pm, prompting the school to hold an emergency assembly. Students told him that each of them pays sh170,000 per term, sh70,000 for lunch and sh100,000 to support the salaries of teachers who are not on government payroll.
The school, which began as a community institution before being handed over to the Government in 2003, has an enrolment of 615 students.
Some students also said they were required to pay examination registration fees. However, when Barugahara asked whether learners who had not cleared school fees were denied examinations, they denied the allegation.
The headteacher, Anelyn Turyahebwa, said 29 members of staff were not on the payroll and that parents had agreed to contribute sh100,000 per student to pay their salaries.
However, Barugahara questioned the amount, saying rural families could not afford such high charges. He suggested that the school should collect about sh70,000 for feeding and approximately sh30,000 towards teachers' salaries.
He noted that the Government provides the school with about sh33m each term and pays 18 teachers.

Simon Nabaasa (second from L), the Buheesi Secondary School managing committee chairperson and Annaline Turyahebwa (third from L), the school headteacher, were escorted by officers of the Anti-Corruption Unity to answer to allegations of extorting students through excessive fees. This was during the Expose the Corrupt Campaign by Hon. Balaam Barugahara, the Minister of Local Government, in Bunyangabo on August 20, 2026. (Credit: Lawrence Mulondo)
Barugahara directed investigations into the allegations involving the headteacher and the school management committee chairman, Simon Nabaasa. He said the State House Anti-Corruption Unit and the Criminal Investigations Directorate should establish whether any offences had been committed.
Teachers and some parents defended Turyahebwa, saying he had restored stability at the school and ensured that teachers received their salaries on time.
Andrew Irumba, one of the pioneer parents, however, alleged that fees had been increased without adequate consultation and claimed some students had previously missed examinations over unpaid fees.
Barugahara asked him to back up his allegations with evidence.
Misuse of public fundsAt the evening rally, Barugahara cited several projects in which he said he had found indications of possible misuse of public funds.
In Nyakigumba town council, he said sh25m had been appropriated for construction of a new public toilet at the market, but officials allegedly used the money to renovate an existing facility.
He also raised questions over a small structure whose face-board painting, he said, cost sh16m.
Residents further alleged that solar lights were procured at about sh7m each, despite an approved cost of sh3m. The minister said the lights were not functioning and ordered investigations.
Barugahara also alleged that land in Rwimi Town Council belonging to Rwimi Health Centre III had been irregularly allocated and sold to private developers. He directed the relevant authorities to investigate the alleged transactions and cancel any irregular titles.
In Kibiito, he called for investigations into alleged poor road works and the sale of market land without proper authorisation.
At Rwimi Senior Secondary School, the minister said he found learners walking along the road who complained that they had been denied school reports over a sh250,000 fee balance.

Balaam Barugahara, the Minister of Local Government addressing residents of Bunyangabu district during the Expose the Corrupt rally at Kibiito Playground in Bunyangabu District on August 20, 2026. (Credit: Lawrence Mulondo)
He also questioned the long tenure of the school's headteacher, whom he said had served in the position for about 40 years.
He called for transfers of long-serving officials where necessary, but stressed that transfers should not replace investigations where criminal conduct is suspected.
Barugahara further alleged that some markets were charging vendors excessive fees. He proposed sh5,000 for vegetable vendors, sh10,000 for goat traders and sh20,000 for cattle traders.
He also ordered investigations into district engineer Wilson Mutegeka over alleged mismanagement of road projects, citing Rwangware Road, where sh100m was reportedly spent on a road he described as too narrow.
The minister also raised allegations of job selling, saying some positions were allegedly sold for between sh5m and sh15m. He said officials involved should be investigated.
In the health sector, residents alleged that mothers seeking caesarean sections at Kibiito Health Centre IV were charged sh100,000. At Rwimi Health Centre III, residents complained about shortages of medicines and alleged that patients were charged sh50,000 to use an ambulance during emergencies.
PDM funds
Residents also raised concerns about the Parish Development Model (PDM) programme, alleging that some beneficiaries were required to pay money before accessing funds.
Margaret Nyakati, a resident of Nyakigumba, told the minister that women struggling to establish small businesses were being frustrated by local authorities. Barugahara gave her sh500,000 to start a legitimate business.
Boda boda rider Ronald Baguma also complained that stage leaders allegedly collect more than sh120,000 monthly from riders without proper accountability. The minister directed that such collections stop and that any approved charges be collected through proper district channels.
Barugahara further alleged corruption within the district police Criminal Investigations Department and claimed that officials had solicited money for police bonds.
He also raised allegations that some schools inflated enrolment figures to obtain additional government funding. He cited Kabale Primary School in Kibiito and Kamabango Primary School in Buheesi sub-county.
The minister said the allegations against district officials, including the Resident District Commissioner, should be thoroughly investigated. He said any official found to have committed an offence should face the law.
Barugahara was accompanied by Bunyangabu LC5 chairperson Peter Musinguzi and Bunyangabu Woman MP Sarah Kabarokole.