World

Two killed, six injured in Tour du Rwanda road accident

Rwandan police have opened an investigation into the cause of the deadly crash that happened during the first stage of the annual event in the eastern Gabiro region. (Photo by AFP)
By: AFP ., Journalists @New Vision

________________

NAIROBI — Two people were killed and six others injured Sunday when a vehicle from the Tour du Rwanda convoy veered off the road, organisers of Africa's biggest cycling race said.

During the first stage of the annual event in the eastern Gabiro region, a "caravan vehicle veered off the road and hit several spectators", the race organisers said in a statement on X.

"Sadly, two people lost their lives and six others were injured," it added.

Rwandan police have opened an investigation into the cause of the crash.

"The injured are receiving care, and we are closely following their condition," the organisers said, offering condolences to the families.

The first stage, held largely under heavy rain according to images shared on social media, was won by Israel's Itamar Einhorn.

Last September, Rwanda hosted the first road cycling world championships ever held on African soil, drawing many of the sport's biggest names, including Tadej Pogacar and Magdeleine Vallieres.

The International Cycling Union (UCI) was forced last year to deny reports that the world championships might be moved to Switzerland because of the conflict in eastern DRC, where the Rwanda-backed M23 armed group made advances in early 2025.

Tags:
Tour du Rwanda
Rwanda
Accident