World

Death toll from Gaza war surpasses 70,000 — health ministry

The milestone comes as a fragile US-brokered ceasefire largely holds, but with both sides accusing the other of violating the terms of the deal.

People camp in a heavily damaged UN school surrounded by destruction, as displaced Palestinians return to the northern areas of the Gaza Strip, in Jabalia, on January 23, 2025. (AFP)
By: AFP ., Journalists @New Vision

______________

GAZA CITY - The health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza on Saturday said more than 70,000 people have been killed since the war between Israel and Hamas erupted more than two years ago.

The milestone comes as a fragile US-brokered ceasefire largely holds, but with both sides accusing the other of violating the terms of the deal.

In a statement, Gaza's health ministry said the death toll from the war had risen to 70,100.

The ministry said that since the ceasefire came into effect on October 10, 354 Palestinians had been killed by Israeli fire.

Two bodies arrived at hospitals in the Gaza Strip in the past 48 hours, the ministry said, one of which had been recovered from beneath the rubble.

It noted that the spike from the last death toll was due to the fact that the data relating to 299 bodies had been processed and approved by the authorities.

Despite the ceasefire, the Palestinian territory remains in a deep humanitarian crisis.

The Gaza war was sparked by Hamas's October 7, 2023, attack on Israel, which resulted in the deaths of 1,221 people.

On that day, militants abducted 251 people into Gaza.

At the start of the latest ceasefire, militants were holding 20 living hostages and 28 bodies of deceased captives.

Hamas has since released all the living hostages and returned the remains of 26 dead hostages.

In exchange, Israel has released nearly 2,000 Palestinian prisoners in its custody and returned the bodies of hundreds of dead Palestinians.

Tags:
Israel
Palestinian
Conflict